Nobody knows more about being physically active with diabetes than Dr. Sheri Colberg. Not only does she hold a PhD in Exercise Physiology, but she has focused her whole career on exercise and diabetes, and has been living well (and exercising) as a type 1 diabetic for over 50 years!
A funded researcher for decades on diabetes, disease management and prevention, lifestyle improvement, and healthy aging, Dr. Sheri Colberg is the author of 12 books, 27 book chapters, and over 400 articles on those same topics.
A world-renowned diabetes motion expert, she led in the creation of almost all the current guidelines on diabetes and exercise for the American Diabetes Association (ADA), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE), Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), and other professional organizations. A sought-after lecturer and educator, she was named the ADA Outstanding Educator in Diabetes in 2016.
More recently, she founded Diabetes Motion Academy to educate other fitness professionals about working with individuals with diabetes and prediabetes--both safely and effectively--which she has done by creating educational courses offered through organizations like ACSM, American Council on Exercise (ACE), PTA Global, and others. Dr. Colberg is also a Professor Emerita of Exercise Science from Old Dominion University and an internationally recognized authority on diabetes and exercise.
An avid recreational athlete, she has also been living (and exercising) well with type 1 diabetes for over 50 years. She knows her stuff! Visit her website, shericolberg.com, for additional information about books, speaking/lectures, interviews, articles, and more.
Conferences, Corporate, Community/Nonprofit, Hospital, College/University
Fitness Professionals, Allied Healthcare Professionals, Medical Professionals, Industry Leaders/Executives, Students, Community Members
- Founder, Diabetes Motion Academy
- Professor Emerita of Exercise Science, Old Dominion University
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Diabetic Athletes
- Nutrition & Diet for Diabetes Management and Prevention
- Active Aging
- Fall Prevention
- Stanford University (B.A.)
- University of California, Davis (M.A.)
- University of California, Berkeley (Ph.D.)
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (NIH Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
TEACHING & RESEARCH POSITIONS
- Shanghai Research Institute of Sports Science (2017-2019, Visiting Professor and Research Fellow)
- Eastern Virginia Medical School (2008-2016, Adjunct Professor of Internal Medicine)
- Old Dominion University (1997-2016, Professor of Exercise Science)
- California State University, East Bay (1994-1997, Full-Time Lecturer)
- See full list of publications on her website.
- 2016 American Diabetes Association Outstanding Educator in Diabetes
- 2008 Saint Louis University Max K. Horwitt Memorial Lecture Distinguished Lectureship
- 1996 Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM)