Colleen Bridges has worked for 2 decades as a NSCA Certified personal trainer, group exercise instructor and fitness consultant and as an independent contractor for Nashville’s first personal training center, STEPS Fitness. Her passion for understanding the body in sickness and in health, and how it moves, as fed her interest in and enhanced her talent for working with senior adults, especially those living with a neurological disorder such as Parkinson’s Disease.
Colleen earned a BA from Ouachita Baptist University and an M.Ed from Louisiana Tech University and went on to earn certifications such as NSCA Certified Personal Trainer, Rock Steady Boxing Certification, Brain and Balance Certification and Parkinson’s Cycling Certification. She has attended multiple conferences offered by NSCA, IDEA and completed an internship with Dr. Irv Rubenstein in 2005. Colleen’s love for special populations took a unique turn in 2016, when she began teaching Rock Steady Boxing Music City classes for those living with Parkinson’s disease. As of 2022, Colleen has 2 locations, 33 classes per week via online and in-person classes, 17 assistant coaches, Occupational and Physical Therapy, Mental therapy, nutrition and personal training and over 180 “Fighters” involved in her program.
Vanderbilt University Movement Disorder Clinic took notice of the improvements of their patients attending Rock Steady Boxing classes and invited Colleen to participate in a research project studying how exercise intervention affects Parkinson’s Disease.
The international headquarters for Rock Steady Boxing invited Colleen to present her seminar “Effective Program Design Part 1 and 2” at the 2018 and 2019 conferences. In February of 2019, Colleen was invited to lead a certification training camp for 37 incoming Rock Steady Boxing Coaches.
Visit her website, bridgesforparkinsons.com.
Awards & Speaking Experience
- 2020 MedFit Professional of the Year
- April 2022 Nashville Community Leader
- July 2022 Parkinson’s Foundation Fitness Professional of the Month
- Co-Created the “Call On The Fighter” music platform with Rich Gootee (2x Grammy winner) to help raise awareness concerning PD and raise money to help Parkinson’s organization, fitness groups, support groups
- Presented for BurnAlong, Peterson Parkinsons’ Foundation Expo, Vanderbilt University Parkinson’s Symposium, MedFit, and Belmont University School of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy
- Industry Expert for MedFit Network